When it comes to landlord and renter’s insurance policies, we hate to see people learning about their policies or lack thereof once it is too late. Information is key, so we asked Heidi Doebel with Allstate insurance if she would share some tips that tenants and landlords need to know before the time comes to make a claim:
- Renter’s insurance covers liability up to the policy limit, so if you are found negligent you can help protect your assets.
- Most renter’s insurance policies only cover the main insured, not all of the roommates. Be sure to discuss with your insurance agent to know for sure.
- Renter’s insurance covers items left in your vehicle that are stolen – auto insurance doesn’t.
- Renter’s insurance can cover the expense of moving from a damaged rental unit under a covered claim.
- If you make a claim for stolen property, you will need to document what was stolen and provide proof of ownership. How will you tell what is missing? How will you prove that you owned what was stolen? It is prudent to take pictures of your belongings and the contents of open drawers to help you remember what you own and have proof of ownership. Saving receipts and manuals is a good idea as well.
- Make sure your jewelry is covered for its value.
- Wear and tear is not covered under your landlord’s policy.
- Requiring a renter’s policy as part of the rental agreement adds liability protection. Most renter’s policies have at least $100,000 in coverage.
- In most cases when there is a lot of damage done by a tenant, you are covered, but you have to prove the damage was done in one instance. Otherwise, you have to open a claim for each damaged item and pay a new deductible each time.
- It is best to call your agent if you have a claims scenario or question (not the company because they have to open a claim to answer a claims question). If you don’t have an agent, switch to a company that does to avoid unnecessary charges or opened claims that could cause a non-renewal or rate increase.
Heidi Doebel is an Allstate Agency Owner who has been with the company over 10 years and served hundreds of families. She has worn many hats in the company and won a number of awards, including:
- Chairman’s Inner Circle-3 years
- Honor Ring-8 years
- Chairman’s Conference-4 years
- Allstate Leader’s Forum-4 years
To contact Heidi or get more information, visit her website.
Photo courtesy of pixabay.com